Read: Luke 5:1-11
- For related accounts see Matt. 4:18-22; Mark 1:16-20 & John 1:40-42
- v. 8 Go away from me Lord! See Genesis 18:27
- v. 1 the Lake of Gennesaret is another name for the Sea of Galilee. It is also sometimes called the Sea of Tiberias .
- v. 2 washing their nets When they were done fishing, the fishermen would wash, stretch and repair (if needed) their nets to get them ready for the next time they would fish.
- v. 3 then he sat down In that time and place, teachers usually taught while sitting.
- v. 8 Go away from me Lord! The closer a person comes to God the more they tend to realize their own unworthiness and sinfulness.
- V. 10 from now on you will fish for people The fishing for people will not be like line fishing where a lure is used to draw individual people in so that they “take the bait.” The fishing word-picture used here is net fishing, so fishing for people will be a labour-intensive process of gathering up many people of several different kinds. This passage also shows that sometimes this fishing will yield little or no results, but fishing under Jesus’ direction can sometimes yield amazing results.
- V. 11 left everything and followed him. These men had been with Jesus before (see John 1:40-42 & 2:1-2) but now a new and radical change has taken place: learning from Jesus by following him where ever he leads has become the top priority in their lives.
- What was Jesus doing as he sat in one of the boats?
- What did Jesus tell Peter to do?
- What happened when Peter followed Jesus instructions?
- Why was Peter reluctant to do what Jesus had asked him to do?
- Why did the large catch of fish cause Peter to change his attitude towards Jesus?
- Why did Simon Peter fall at Jesus’ knees and say, “Go away from me Lord, I am a sinful man!”?
- What motivated Peter, James and John to pull their boats up on shore, leave everything and follow Jesus?
- What do you think you would do if you came face-to-face with Jesus today?
- How can you fish for people in your everyday life?
- If learning from Jesus by following him was the most important thing in your life right now, what would that look like?