Read: John 1:19-34
Focus: What signs can you identify by their shapes? What are some things that signs point towards?
- V. 19 – John the Baptizer’s witness takes place over 3 days
- V. 20 – John’s “I am not” vs. Jesus’ “I am”
- V. 21 Elijah & John
- “the prophet” (see Deut. 18:15)
- V. 27 – untying sandals
- V. 28 – Bethany
- V. 29 “Lamb of God”
- V. 31 – John the Baptist’s purpose
1. If you were a sign, what kind of sign would you be?
2. To what reality are you pointing?
3. Do our lives sometimes point away from God? How?
4. Who are you not?
5. Who are you? What do you say about yourself?
6. By the way that he lives his life and by what he does, who is John pointing towards? How?
7. What does it mean to you to hear that Jesus is the Lamb of God? Is it Good News? How?
8. How does this Good News help you? How does it change your life from a sign pointing away from God to a sign pointing to God?
9. How might the news that Jesus is the Lamb of God be Good News to someone else?
10. List 3 ways that your life can be a sign pointing to Jesus over the next 2 weeks?
Next time: John 1:35-51
a Or Messiah. “The Christ” (Greek) and “the Messiah” (Hebrew) both mean “the Anointed One”; also in verse 25.
b Isaiah 40:3
c Or in; also in verses 31 and 33