Summary: At times we experience sorrow and suffering in this world. How do we keep moving forward in the face of such challenges? The eternal life that Jesus gives us through faith gives us the hope we need for each day.
Big Idea: Jesus gives us eternal life through faith alone.
Ice-breaker question: What are some examples of things that you don’t understand?
Read: John 3:10-15
Observation (What does the passage say?)
1.In today’s passage, Jesus is talking to Nicodemus. Jesus said to Nicodemus, “You are a respected Jewish teacher, and yet you don’t understand these things?” What things did Nicodemus not understand? (Hint: see verses 5-8.)
2. The term “Son of Man” is a nickname that Jesus often used to refer to himself. What two things did Jesus say about himself using this nickname?
3. Jesus refers to Moses lifting up a bronze snake on a pole. To find out what Jesus is referring to, please read Numbers 21:4-9. What were the Israelites doing that moved the Lord to send poisonous snakes among them?
4. What promise the Lord give to the people?
5. What happened to the people who believed the promise?
Interpretation (What does the passage mean?)
6. How does the fact that Jesus came down from heaven give more authority to what he tells us about earthly and heavenly things?
7. When Moses spoke to the people and gave them instructions with a promise, how did he have the authority to make what he said worth believing?
8. Which of the following two possibilities accurately describes what happened:
a. the faith of the Israelites caused them to be healed, or
b. the faith of the Israelites received the healing that the Lord wanted to give to them?
9. In the John passage, what promise is Jesus giving to us?
10. Does our faith in Jesus cause us to have eternal life, or does our faith in Jesus receive the eternal life that he wants to give to us?
11. What did Jesus do so that everyone who believes in him will have eternal life? (Hint: see 1 Corinthians 15:3-4)
Application (What does the passage mean to me personally?)
12. Write down one area of your life where you need more faith in Jesus. If you are willing, please share it with others so that they can pray for you. In your personal prayers, ask Jesus for more faith in him.