Summary: The default strategy for human beings is to try to live life on our own. But eventually we come to the end of ourselves and realize that that does not work. Jesus invites us to follow him and his teaching, and he will give us rest.
Big Idea: Jesus is inviting us into a close, interactive relationship with him, and it is in that relationship that we will find the life that we desire and the rest that we need.
Ice-breaker question: Describe a situation where you were very tired. What caused your weariness and how was it remedied?
Read: Matthew 11:25-30
- When Jesus said “these things” in verse 25, he is referring to everything that he said previously in this chapter. What are some of the key points of what he said?
- In Mt. 18:3, Jesus said, “…unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” In this passage, he says that the key points of his teaching (the “these things”) are hidden from “…from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children” (v. 25). Why are Jesus’ teachings sometimes hard for the wise and learned to accept, but easy for little children to do the same?
- Why is this a necessary part of God’s plan?
- How do we become like little children with respect to Jesus?
- How would you describe the relationship between Jesus and his Father?
- How can we tell what God the Father is like by looking at Jesus, what he did and what he said?
- What are some heavy burdens and weariness that we carry in our lives?
- The “yoke” in v. 29 refers to the teachings of a teacher. When a student takes upon herself the teachings of her teacher, she is following what her teacher has taught her, much like an apprentice follows what her supervisor has taught her. Jesus tells us that his yoke is easy. What does taking Jesus’ yoke upon ourselves and learning from him look like?
- Jesus also tells us that when we follow his teaching (take his yoke upon ourselves) we will find rest for ourselves. How does following Jesus’ teaching give us rest?
- What are some specific steps that you will commit to doing this week that will help you follow Jesus and his teaching more closely?
This Bible Study focuses on the same passage as the sermon on Sep 16/18 from Walnut Grove Lutheran Church, Langley BC. Click here to listen.