Summary: Because of our uncomfortableness with death, we tend to deny or solve it. But our human efforts to deal with death only burden & bind us. God has solved our death problem by sending Jesus to undo what has been done and repair the damage done by death. Therefore, we rest in Jesus as a new person headed towards Resurrection Life.
Ice-breaker question: Have you ever had someone tell you some news that you thought was unbelievable when you first heard it? How did things work out?
Background: The events described in this passage take place during the evening of the day Jesus rose from the dead. Some of Jesus’ followers, including the women who went to Jesus’ tomb that morning and Peter and John, have seen the empty tomb, but only Mary Magdalene and the two disciples who traveled to Emmaus have seen Jesus in person after His resurrection.
Read: John 20:19-31
Observation: What does the passage say?
1. How did the followers of Jesus feel before He appeared among them?
2. How did they feel after Jesus appeared among them?
3. What was Thomas’s response when he was told that the other disciples had seen Jesus alive?
4. What was his response after he saw Jesus with his own eyes?
Interpretation: What does the passage mean?
5. What are some possible reasons why Thomas found it hard to believe that Jesus had risen from the dead?
6. Seeing Jesus alive was the evidence that Thomas needed to believe that He had risen from the dead. What evidence supports our belief that Jesus has risen from the dead?
7. Jesus said, “Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” Why is it a blessing to believe that Jesus has risen from the dead?
Application: How does the meaning of this passage apply to me?
8. What are some ways that you might be like Thomas?
9. Jesus was gracious to Thomas and gave him what he needed to believe that Jesus was not only risen from the dead, but also Thomas’ Lord and God. What are some ways that Jesus has been graciously provided what you need to believe that He is your risen Lord and Saviour?
10. What difference does belief that Jesus has risen from the dead make in our lives?
11. What is a Bible verse, passage or story that is important to your faith?
This Bible Study focuses on the same passage as the message on Nov 3/19 from Walnut Grove Lutheran Church, Langley BC.