Summary: Most of us function as self-guided beings most of the time. But all of us face circumstances in life that overwhelm us. Jesus invites us to let him be the ultimate authority in our lives so he can protect and bless us as we go through life together with him.
Big Idea: Jesus’ resurrection shows us that he can turn our lives around.
Read: John 2:18-25
Ice-breaker question: If you are willing, share a time when you found yourself in a battle of wills with someone else. What was the end result of that situation?
Observation (What does the passage say?)
1. What did Jesus say when the Jewish leaders asked him to prove that he had authority to clear the Temple area?
2. What was Jesus referring to when he said “this temple”?
3. What impact did Jesus’ words have on the disciples after Jesus rose from the dead?
4. In verse 23, we read that many people began to trust in Jesus because of the miraculous signs that he did. What was Jesus’ response?
Interpretation (What does the passage mean?)
5. Why did the Jewish leaders demand that Jesus prove that he had authority from God to do what he did?
6. Jesus responds to their demand by pointing to his future resurrection as the miraculous sign that would show that he had authority from God to do what he did. How does Jesus’ resurrection show that he has authority from God?
7. Why is Jesus’ resurrection so important?
8. Why didn’t Jesus trust people, even those who trusted in him?
Application (What does the passage mean to me personally?)
9. What is one area of your life that you need to give to Jesus and let him have authority over it?